Railway DC-DC converter with inherent redundancy delivers up to 20kW in onboard rolling stock and trackside applications. Industrial quality version also available.
The BAP 5KR-72/24-3U7 DC-DC converter is designed for driving low voltage 24Vdc equipment in 5kW railway applications. The unit converts 72Vdc input voltage (43dc to 101Vdc range), to 24Vdc/200A. The input and output can be customized for other requirements. Conversion efficiency is typically 85% at 72Vdc nominal input at full load.
The system is built with six BAP65F internal modules. This modular construction provides inherent redundancy; the failure of one internal module would only cause a minor drop in output power.
Several BAP 5KR-72/24-3U7 units can be parallel connected for 10kW, 15kW, 20kW and higher output power.
EN50155 for electronic equipment used on railway rolling stock
The 5kW railway converter is designed to meet strict performance standards to ensure reliability in extreme railway enviornments. These include:
- EN50155 for electronic equipment used on railway rolling stock;
- EN50121-3-2 electromagnetic compatibility – heavy filtering on input and output;
- EN61000-4-2 ESD;
- EN61000-4-3 RF Immunity;
- EN61000-4-4 Fast transient overvoltages;
- EN61000-4-6 Conducted Immunity;
- EN61373 Cat 1 A&B shock and vibration.
For additional informaiton, please refer to our railway solutions page.
Protection features include 3000Vdc input/output isolation, reverse polarity protection, overload protection, rectangular current limiting with short-circuit protection and thermal shutdown in case of insufficient cooling.
Low component count, large design headroom, and the exclusive use of components with established reliability also contribute to a long operating life with minimum maintenance under exacting railway conditions.
Cooling by high-quality built-in fans
Cooling by high quality built-in fans ensures operation over a -25°C to +55°C temperature range for full specification with no requirement for derating. The fans draw air into the unit and exhausts at the terminal side. Wider temperature ranges are available on request.
Custom, customized design
ABSOPULSE Electronics is an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of an extensive range of rugged industrial and railway quality power conversion solutions. We specialize in fully custom solutions. All of our existing designs can also be modified to meet customer application requirements. To discuss this converter or any of your power conversion requirements, please contact us.
- 5000W Railway quality DC-DC converter;
- Modular construction provides inherent redundancy;
- Several shelves can be paralleled for 10kW, 15kW, 20kW and higher output power;
- Input: 72Vdc (43-101Vdc range) or custom;
- Output: 24Vdc/200A, or custom (e.g. 48V, 110V);
- Complies with EN50155, EN62368-1 and corresponding standards;
- -55°C to +55°C operating temp. range for full spec. (no derating);
- Conformal coating: protection from humidity and airborne contaminants;
- 85% efficiency at full load at 72Vdc nominal input;
- 3U7 chassis-mount: 132 x 432 x 382 mm (5.2″ x 17″ x 15″) W x H x D
excludes terminals and mounting L-brackets. 19” rack-mounting available.
Copyright © ABSOPULSE Electronics Ltd